Unsupported Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

campster2

Reaction score
I recently had a new bathroom installed and the toilet flange was set on top of the tile but was not screwed to the floor. I let this go because this is a slab foundation and the pipe/flange was supported by the tile.

The tile and 1.5" mudbed had to be removed because the mud bed wasn't installed correctly. When the new tile was installed it was notched around the flange and the flange was not screwed to the floor. So now the flange is floating 1.5" above the slab. The drain is 3" pvc.

I know that the weight of the toilet is being carried by the tile but does this installation run the risk of cracking the flange and/or the drain pipe?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I know that the weight of the toilet is being carried by the tile but does this installation run the risk of cracking the flange and/or the drain pipe?

Not that I can imagine, but I would still fill the void with mortar or some kind of grout to remove the possibility of mop water or condensation accumulating under the toilet and eventually odorizing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you tighten th ebolts that hold the toilet to the flange, if the flange rim isn't anchored, it could be problematic. You really do want the flange anchored...that is the only thing keeping the toilet from shifting or cracking the flange.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to use quick setting concrete to fill in under the flange. Everyone it seems has his own favorite way of anchoring flanges into concrete. Here's mine. I use a rotary hammer drill to drill 5/16" holes into the concrete. Then I tap in lead sleeves flush with the concrete and drive #8 stainless steel screws into the sleeves. This is in my opinion, a heck of a lot easier than Tapcons. This is not to say Tapcons won't work, I just really like the screws into the lead sleeve method. I use essentially the same thing to anchor anything into concrete except I don't use stainless steel where there will be no moisture. I admit one reason I like this method is that I own a good rotary hammer drill and a wide assortment of bits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks