Unsanded grout in the shower

Users who are viewing this thread

mattyoungus

Reaction score
So, just finished up the bathroom thanks to a lot of friendly people on this forum. One more mistake that I think I made was using unsanded grout in the shower. I used subway tiles and the joints are mostly 1/8" with the exception of spots where I had to relevel. They grew a bit and got a little smaller here and there, but not bad.

My question is this...knowing that I probably should have used sanded grout, how long should I expect the current grout to last? I mean is it going to fall out a couple months from now, years?

I made so many mistakes it made me think, I will never do it myself again. Ha-ha!

After 3 days of drying, there are only a few areas with small hairline cracks, and they are up pretty high on the wall. So, I'm not feaking out just yet.

Pics below...including example crack.

mattyoungus

Reaction score
IMG_20150615_194347405.jpg
IMG_20150615_194340149.jpg
IMG_20150615_194724.jpg
IMG_20150615_192727.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
AT 1/8", unsanded or sanded grout could be used...if the joints got bigger than that, sanded is generally called for. Unsanded grout tends to shrink more than sanded during curing, so the first month (well, most of it happens in the first week) is the tell about how well it will work. Can't tell if you grouted the corners, but, if those are grouted, that conflicts with the industry guidelines which calls for a flexible joint at all changes of plane or materials.

mattyoungus

Reaction score
AT 1/8", unsanded or sanded grout could be used...if the joints got bigger than that, sanded is generally called for. Unsanded grout tends to shrink more than sanded during curing, so the first month (well, most of it happens in the first week) is the tell about how well it will work. Can't tell if you grouted the corners, but, if those are grouted, that conflicts with the industry guidelines which calls for a flexible joint at all changes of plane or materials.

I used silicone on the inside corners and laytex caulk on bullnose edges.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks