Unique Tub drainage configuration

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tomtbone, Jul 10, 2010.

1. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

We are remodeling our bath and putting in a new tub while moving it 6" or so. The issue I am running across is that directly below the overflow is the large horizontal cast iron pipe and directly below the drain is a joist. Can someone tell me if this type of configuration would work to attach a p-trap?

Previously, the tub was 6" back, and a drum-type trap was attached directly to the drain not overflow.

Attached Files:

• tub2.jpg
      tub2.jpg
      File size:
      11.3 KB
      Views:
  2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

N0, that flat bit between the drain and the overflow will fill up with hair and crap and plug the overflow.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

you can get a drain in shoe type drain and have the p-trap directly under the drain.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You won't find anything that you could put together to make it work like that. A Watco "green flexible" waste has the trap right below the tub drain. And there are also drains which exit out the back. They have the tee pointing backwards instead of down the normal way.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  5. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

But there is a joist directly below the drain. I only need to go 2" toward the back of the tub for open space.
  6. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Watco, that's it. Could not for the life of me remember the supplier.
  7. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

Alright great. I think I can use one of the direct drain kits and use two 45's to go directly into the p-trap. That should work. However, where do I get these watco parts?
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You would find a plumbing supply house that carries the Watco product line...
  9. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

Just ordered the 917 PVC kit from Eagle Mountain Products.

Thanks for all the help guys!