Unfit and Moving the Rough-In

Users who are viewing this thread

sonia

Reaction score
We have a tiny powder room, it is just 44" x 44". It has a 14" rough in and we are getting the whole bathroom replumbed (the pipes are original and need to be replaced). We had a toto drake with a rounded bowl put in a couple of years ago because of the small size of the bathroom but that ended up being a mistake as my husband doesn't like the toilet and wants it replaced. I read about using unfit on this forum but I noticed that the toilets that use unfit are all 'universal height' and we have small children which means the toilet would be pretty high for them. Looking at the specs I think they sit at 17.5" off the ground which is about three inches higher than the drakes. Do people with small children install universal height toilets? And is that a bad idea in such a small bathroom? Or would it make more sense to ask the plumber to move the rough-in as far back as possible, maybe to a 10" rough in and would that allow us more space and versatility on what we could install?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Drake bowl is 14-5/8"
and the Vespin II is 16-1/8" high.
It's a 1-1/2" difference.
The seat adds about 1-1/4" to that.

You could get the elongated Drake and move the rough back to 11"
That would put the end of the bowl at 28" from the wall.
Or a Vespin II with a 14" Unifit on a 14" rough would be 28-3/4" from the wall.
Right now, the round Drake is about 29-1/2" from the wall.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
Also in Seattle.
This was installed on a 13-1/2" rough with the 14" Unifit.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet on a 10" rough-in may not end up any shorter than one on a longer one! Universal height is still lower than a typical dining room or kitchen chair (or your couch). Toto is the only one with the Unifit adapter, and it only fits certain toilets. The beauty of that is that the same exact toilet will fit at exactly the same place relative to the wall when you have either a 10, 12, or 14" rough-in. Pretty much any other toilet out there that makes a 10 or 14" rough-in is the same distance from the bolts on the flange forward, to account for the varying space behind it, they put a thinner or thicker tank to fill in. As a result, especially on a 14" rough-in, that toilet will sit an extra 2" out into the room.

Children grow fast...as a short-term aid, a small stool or platform could be used if required, and it may not be. The Drake II is all of 1/8" lower at the seat than the Carlyle. And the original Drake, once you add the seat, is maybe all of 1/2-3/4" lower. The spec sheets on the newer toilets tend to show the height with the seat, the older ones at the rim, so it depends somewhat on which seat you choose, but you can't just look at the numbers without realizing that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks