Uneven toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

jhr1986

Reaction score
Full disclosure, this is my first time replacing a toilet but it looked easy enough so I figured I could handle it. Now that I've got the old toilet removed I'm not so sure. The metal part of the flange is two pieces, but I'm not sure how the plastic part of the flange attaches to the soil pipe. I figure this flange has to be replaced, but I'm not sure how involved that will be. There is still one closet bolt to remove - it's soaking in PB blaster right now. So is this a fairly easy job that I should be able to handle or is it time for a professional? Here are a couple pics of the flange:

toilet flange1.jpgtoilet flange2.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet will fit over that flange without hitting it, and rocking, you could probably just put a new wax ring on, use some new flange bolts, and go. If the ring is steel and is rusting, then you should consider replacing it. It might be SS (stained, but that's okay). The ring should be attached to the plastic. Typically, it fits into a slot. If the PVC part moves easily, you'd probably want to deal with it, as you'd probably not get a good seal with a wax ring. Something like a Fluidmaster or Fernco waxless seal might work if the ring is solid.

Ultimately, if the whole thing is loose or rusting, you'd be better off replacing the flange. The pipe should be coming up and be plumb, and if it were attached to the ring, it might be. But, they may have had too much angle on it, and over time, it popped out of the corroding ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks