Uneven tile so flange does not sit on top

Users who are viewing this thread

WaukeshaMike

Reaction score
I recently tiled a basement bathroom... I use floor leveler to level the floor and bury the cable for the radiant heating. The problem - I did not carry this throughout the entire bathroom. This is where the problem starts. My tile is not level on the back side of where the toilet will sit. I am ready to install a 3" inside flange into a 4" stub-out (I believe this is acceptable based on previous threads). When I do this, the SS part of the flange sits on top of the tile in one spot, but is 1/4" above the tile in the back (see picture). My plan is to assure the flange is level, then set the wax ring and toilet into place. I will use plastic shims to level the toilet and then grout the gap between the tile and the toilet to assure stability.

Is this correct? Lesson learned... level the entire floor - so simple.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 255

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you dryfit that, or is it now cemented in place?

The cement literally melts the plastic, so that gives you a little bit of leeway. Note sure, but I think I'd try this: spread the cement on both pieces...let things sit for maybe 30-second, then apply a second coat. That will give a larger quantity of solvent, and might allow it to be able to melt enough to fit down and sit flush on the tile. You may need a heavy weight to hold things down for a bit while things harden up again, otherwise, it may just pop back out on its own. I might try just standing on it for a bit.

Make sure that there's no lip or edge on the flange and that the pipe is cut off properly so that there's no interference.

I'd also wait to see if one of the pros has some thoughts, as you'll only get one chance on this, and I'd not want to be wrong!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks