Underslab Natural Gas Service in the 1950's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
There is a 2009-2010 thread that discusses buried natural gas lines.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/burried-natural-gas-pipe.31160/

I don't believe it directly address my concern, outlined below. The post has also lain dormant for over 5 years.

After WWII, during the post-war building boom, at least in northern California, many developers elected to build slab-on-grade homes with 14" perimeter and internal bearing wall footings. They ran at least some of their utilities, water, gas, electric, and some telephone, underneath the slab. Some of the more innovative ones even installed radiant heat in the slab.

My concern is with what the prevailing standards were in the mid-1950's. In my neighborhood an increasing number of homeowners are experiencing the failure of fairly corrosion resistant copper water lines. This leads me to a growing concern about the more catastrophic potential for the corrosion of under-slab black iron (steel) pipe used as a gas line. Once past the footing and under the slab, the line should experience fairly dry soil. That said, my gas meter is 'out in the weather' and disappears diagonally under the garage slab only to appear in a utility closet (gas water heater and hydronic furnace) that is ~30 feet from the the meter. Failure of a water line is an big irritation and a major expense; failure of a gas line is likely to be catastrophic!

I'd appreciate comments from readers who know what 'best practices' and 'the code' were in the 1950's. Clearly this was an era when everyone wanted to see new housing built, NOW!

Are my concerns well founded? I know of only one fire in Palo Alto that was assigned to a gas line failure under an on-grade slab house.

thanks

baumgrenze

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my city you can't run gas lines under the slab or footing. Galvanizes (green or black) must be wrapped when buried.

Also, our GAS COMPANY is responsible for the gas supply pipe from the street to the meter, which they own. Call your gas supplier to verify. They will run a new line around the outside of your home to the meter. Past the meter is your responsibility and all work past the meter must be performed by a licensed plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In most modern codes, an underslab gas line, when it is allowed to be installed, has to enclosed by a SEALED, vented, and tested "sleeve"from where it enters the building until it comes up out of the floor. ANd in most cases, LP gas cannot be installed under a concrete slab under any conditions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks