Undermount Sink

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jwelfeld, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jwelfeld

jwelfeld New Member

Hi,

I am loking at Corian countertops and they come with a "free" undermount sink, my concern is how long do these sinks last, do they get really scratched > can they be replaced or removed or are we stuck getting a new counter top if we have problems ?

thanks,

Joe W.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Because the color goes all the way through, it can be sanded, buffed, or whatever is required to return it to new condition. If at some later time, you want to replace it, it can be cut out. How easy that is, I don't know. My guess is that this should be available on the Dupont site.
  3. Mort

Mort New Member

We've had our Corian counter and sink installed for a little over five years. The top is an imitation stone look and the sink white. Everything is seamless in appearance (no caulking, grout, etc) and has shown no signs of deterioration. Whether the sink can be removed and replaced, I'm sure your installer would know....but I never thought to ask. Scratches can be removed pretty easily with a Scotch Brite pad and some soft scrub as a lubricant. The only thing Corian (at least my unit) doesn't like is heat. Though I've never tried it, I'd think that putting a hot frying pan in the sink would not be good.

Overall, good stuff. Have a couple of trivets around for hot pans and such and a board for cutting and it'll look good for a long time.

Mort
  4. prashster

prashster New Member

My parents have a corian c-top with the standard offered sink. Looks like brand new after 12 years. I'm impressed.
  5. jwelfeld

jwelfeld New Member

from DuPont

I asked Customer Service at DuPont regarding the Sink, and here is the reply

Dear Joe, the sink can be cut away without damaging the countertop. Thank you!

I have no reason to do this, but just wanted to know if it was possible,