Undermount sink to granite install

Users who are viewing this thread

kellywelch

Reaction score
We just had new granite countertops put in with a stainless steel undermount sink. Our granite installer did the install of the sink and we have had them back 4 times to re-caulk between sink and granite because each time we use the sink, the caulking turns white and eventually falls out. What are they doing wrong? They said they cannot use silicone because it would damage or stain the granite.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Something does not add up. Usually an undermount sink is sealed by a bead of caulk on the sink rim which seals against the underside of the granite. Only a very tiny bead of caulking would actually even be visible.

As far as caulking that joint now, 100% silicone should be the material of choice. It does not stain granite. Whatever they are using is either not compatible with the granite, or with water, or they are applying it to a wet joint.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
kellywelch said:
We just had new granite countertops put in with a stainless steel undermount sink. Our granite installer did the install of the sink and we have had them back 4 times to re-caulk between sink and granite because each time we use the sink, the caulking turns white and eventually falls out. What are they doing wrong? They said they cannot use silicone because it would damage or stain the granite.

I've done plenty of Granite undermounts, a few I've installed after the counter guys installed the shields and done my own sealing, silicone caulking is the usual choice for sealant.
Thats the first time I've heard silicone is bad for granite.

kellywelch

Reaction score
I just talked to the granite installer again and they said they will come back out but will NOT use silicone on it. It will stain it and make it look oily.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
kellywelch said:
I just talked to the granite installer again and they said they will come back out but will NOT use silicone on it. It will stain it and make it look oily.

I think they're confusing it with "plumbers putty"...the putty has oils that will seep into granite and especially marble.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Or else, one of them used silicone on a unsealed granite once, and has been paranoid ever since (it bleeds through sometimes).

But at this point, it's installed already, I should HOPE it's been sealed...!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
frenchie said:
Or else, one of them used silicone on a unsealed granite once, and has been paranoid ever since (it bleeds through sometimes).

But at this point, it's installed already, I should HOPE it's been sealed...!

lol...I'd have questions 'bout that...

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Silicone is fine, but you just can't smear it around with your finger. Whatever it touches might turn darker. Just do it once and do it right if you're using silicone.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
If the stone wasn't sealed, it'll also soak through & darken the backside of where it's applied.

I once saw an entire kitchen's worth of countertop have to be re-done, because they used silicone to glue it down to the cabinets, but the underside hadn't been sealed, so...

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
frenchie said:
If the stone wasn't sealed, it'll also soak through & darken the backside of where it's applied.

Depends on the stone. We rarely seal dark granites, they are not porous at all.

I have Dakota Mahogany granite in my kitchen, about 10 years old. Unsealed. No stains from anything, including silicone.

Regardless, sounds like the granite supplier is not real sharp. How many trips should it take to get it right?

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
It doesnt matter

Tell the installer that when putting in an undermount sink NO caulking of ANYKIND should be visible from the inside of the sink! An undermount sink still has a lip on it so that the silicone applied can be kept far enough away from the edge so it doesnt show. Who cares what happens to the granite on the underside anyways? And yes, ALL granite counter tops should have a sealer applied to them. Keep in mind that granite is still a stone.

Tell the installer to get a grip.

Richard'sRenu

Reaction score
tonykarns said:
Tell the installer that when putting in an undermount sink NO caulking of ANYKIND should be visible from the inside of the sink! An undermount sink still has a lip on it so that the silicone applied can be kept far enough away from the edge so it doesnt show. Who cares what happens to the granite on the underside anyways? And yes, ALL granite counter tops should have a sealer applied to them. Keep in mind that granite is still a stone.

Tell the installer to get a grip.

I agree-also use some "painters tape" (blue stuff) around the edge-top and bottom of the gap. Smear it in with your finger-then pull the tape right away. You'll get a nice clean joint line. I also do this on showers/tubs/ sinks- takes a little more time but it looks great.

Richard

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks