Undercutting baseboard?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by alt, Jan 16, 2008.

1. alt

alt New Member

Just moved into our new house, and all the baseboard through the lower level of the home was installed flush with the concrete floor. Want to install carpet, but no space to tuck it in. Is it possible to somehow undercut the trim so as to make space for carpet? Not sure we have budget or time to rip out and install all new trim.
  2. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Alot of trim guys dont leave the trim up for carpet, I've seen guys run a circular saw down it, but I don't know if its even necessary...
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

In the old days, you didn't tuck it in - you ran shoe molding (aka quarter-round), after.
  4. statjunk

statjunk DIY Senior Member

Ditto.

The only way this won't work is if your molding is that real small stuff that is only about 2" tall.

Tom
  5. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

I would not worry about it. They can tuck it over the tack strip for a nice installation.

Unless you pull up the molding and rip it down, it will be hard to get a professional look.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

carpet

Professional installers run the carpet up to the baseboard without quarter round or other trim.
  7. alt

alt New Member

Thanks all!