undercounter lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by rockycmt, Jan 22, 2009.

1. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

Which is best? Hardwire fluresent or Low voltage
  2. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Depends on if you want to be able to dim them from a single location or dim them at all.

I install individual xenon with the transformer in each unit that has a hi/lo switch. No dimming.
  3. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

I went with LED
    3 pull around 4w total, 1 transformer can power up to 6 puck lights
    Each puck light has 12 LED's - lots of light - no heat
  4. edlentz

edlentz New Member

I got some inline LED strip lights. A 15" with 21 leds (I think) fits perfectly under the cabinet. They are powered by 110, no transformer. Not dimmable but at about 1 watt per strip we can leave them on forever.
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

We used these for years but the price of oil keeps going up and we may go back to dipping strings into wax again.

[​IMG]
  6. Scuba_Dave

I still have quite a few of those lamps around :D
  7. CarlH

CarlH New Member

Who makes these? Where can I find them?
  8. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

If I choose to go with low Voltage… What is the best install procedure? I want them switched so should I

Countertop switch to an outlet on top of cabinets to power a transformer.
  9. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

If you do choose low voltage, none of the wiring can be concealed in the walls. Makes for a tough clean looking install.
  10. drick

drick In the Trades

I don't know that this is entirely correct. As long as the wiring is rated for it you can run it in the wall, yes? What if you used 14/2 romex between the xenon fixtures and transformers. Or what if you used 14 gauge in wall speaker wire?

-rick
  11. jwelectric

411.4 Specific Location Requirements.
    (A) Walls, Floors, and Ceilings. Conductors concealed or extended through a wall, floor, or ceiling shall be in accordance with (1) or (2):
    (1) Installed using any of the wiring methods specified in Chapter 3
    (2) Installed using wiring supplied by a listed Class 2 power source and installed in accordance with 725.130
  12. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Uh, Mike? They're DIYers. I doubt they have a copy of the NEC kicking around. Could you maybe explain, briefly, what's meant by "Chapter 3", "Class 2 power source", and "725.130"?
  13. Cookie

Cookie .

It can be found on the internet Frenchie.
  14. Scuba_Dave

and 725.130 refers you to 8 other code sections :rolleyes:
    Chapter 3 is probably a hundred pages or more
  15. jwelectric

Well then why are they installing electrical circuits for if they don't have a copy of the rules?

I have been doing this for over 40 years and I got to have a copy of the rules to know if it is right or wrong. Are they that much smarter than a old seasoned pro like me?

I suppose that it would be a lot simpler to just go make the installation for them than to try and teach the NEC on a discussion forum but I will give it a go anyhow.

Chapter Three of the NEC is titled;
    Chapter 3 Wiring Methods and Materials

This chapter will contain the rules that apply to the wiring methods of all conductors, cables and raceways.
    The referral to chapter three in 411.4 means that any of the wiring methods out there and approved for branch circuits would be allowed to be used.

A class 2 circuit is one that is supplied by a class 2 power source and the rules change. They can’t be around circuits that are bigger than they are as they might get hurt. There are about a half dozen conductors listed for the installation of class 2 power limited conductors. Speaker wires are not part of this listing.

I feel as though I must ask you a couple of questions now.
    Do you really think that someone would undertake installing something that is sure to cause fires and kill without first doing a lot of research on the proper safety issues?
    Surly you don’t think that someone would undertake an electrical installation without first obtaining a copy of the current electrical codes and doing an in-depth study of said codes, do you?
  16. Scuba_Dave

The whole idea of forums like this is to assist people

Do I think people should undertake wiring without research?
    NO, but that IS what the person is doing

Do I think people will undertake wiring without research?
    YES, especially when they receive "assistance" such as yours

You might as well have said: "The answer is on the internet somewhere, go find it"

A better answer would be:

NO, you can't do that see - code such & such
    or
    YES, you can do that as long as you follow code such & such

AND giving them a link to look up the code, like this:

http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/browser?title=/NFPASTD/7008SB

That is how people learn
    Otherwise they will just ignore code & do what they want
    Which is what everyone does NOT want, including the person looking for help
  17. jwelectric

I understand that you have no way of knowing but I have been dealing with Frenchie for about as many years as you have been walking and the post was really meant as a joke that only me and Frenchie would understand.

But I do thank you for responding.
  18. Scuba_Dave

Ah, I see.....so you are over 65 then I guess & just about retired
    I'm close to 50 :)
  19. Cookie

Cookie .

Well, when I said it was on the net, I said it, because it really is. I looked it up. So, the poster would be able to check it out, too, and see for himself what the classes and codes are, not all that difficult to do. Or even read. They are capable of doing that.
  20. edlentz

edlentz New Member