under slab sewer replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

irkadirkapopupyirka

Reaction score
i was wondering if someone could tell me a little more about the sewer replacement under slab of my home. i am going to have a tunnel dug out for me and the pipes are going to be on top of it so they are easy to reach once you're in the tunnel. i understand that i need to take the old ones out and put the new ones in, connect them all the correct way. what i have a hard time figuring out is everything that goes into making the pipe connected to the slab. i dont know any terms of the things (screws, bolts, holders) that i am going to be using and i dont know how far apart i need to put holders. please reply, if you could, on iraquraishi@yahoo.com. thank you for your time.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Where are you located Ira?
Generally we use concrete anchors, all thread rod and clevis hangers...
Distance between hangers depends on the type (and size) of pipe being supported...

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why not cut the slab?
But the tunnel would be a cool way to die.

Hey my dad died when the slab fell on him. We all just tossed the flowers in the bath room where he was crushed.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
go ahead and beat your braines out

you cannot tunell under your slab ....its almost impossible..

If you dont know what you are doing.....

and then if you cut the slab throughout the home,

and take out the concrete to expose the drain lines

right down the middle of your home .......

for probably the next 3-6 months you will probably

have created what they call in the army

a ..........."slit trench"......

I gave an estimate once to one fellow that

did the same thing you are considering doing...

He took plywood and covered his "slit trench"

in the middle of his home........

so the kids and wife would not fall into the trench

while he had been working on it........for the last 3 months...

another reason he covered his SLIT TRENCH was to keep the dog

out of the sewage.....LOL

it smelled sweet,
and looked like a bomb had gone off in the home...

The carpet had been pulled back in an attempt to save it
but eventually was ruined by all the mud

My price was too high to finish this god awful mess,

so the fellow carried on himself........

that is one I wish I had taken pictures of.......

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Wow. :eek:

Must be a serious house with a serious sewer to warrant a tunnel!

I'd reply, but generally when they post their email address, they aren't coming back.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be sure you get lots of pictures for us. The will be a sure winner of the Pig Slop Award for 2008, and probably for the decade! Seriously, you don't want to do this. You need professional help. You say you have someone to dig the tunnel. I seriously doubt that this is a professional because this is not what any real professional would do. If you are hiring cheap laborers privately to dig this, you are risking everything you own and ever will own if this tunnel caves in on him. Very, very bad idea!:eek:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If you actually were dumb enough to dig a tunnel under your slab home,

would that not undermine the foundation of your
home, causeing the slab to crack and sink downwards??

It depends on the foundation, soil conditions, slab thickness, tunnel size, tunnel reinforcment, etc. Hard to say really.

Why is there always so many line breaks in your messages, mark? Just curious.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt you could even find some illegal alien day laborors to help you with this project! They do get into some crazy jobs too!

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
I friend of mine was hired to reconnect the sewer lines under a hotel where the soil below the slab subsided 2' and took the waste lines with it. Tunneling, drilling rod inserts into the slab and running new cast iron lines. He couldn't keep people on the job. They'd average about 2 days and walk away. I've also replaced shot drain lines in restaurants by the cut, remove, trench, replace, backfill, patch method a few times. S*#tty job, literally. Just keeping the food handling equipment clean is a major pita.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I once had to tunnel 12' back under a commercial building to repair a water line. There was a partial basement. The original line went under the basement, came back up inside an unexcavated area, and went through an old concrete floor and a new concrete floor.

I started with a pneumatic rotary hammer, which cut the concrete like it was butter. I cut a hole at least 4' x 4' and then proceeded to dig - mostly with an army shovel and hand pick. Then I strung the pipe across the ceiling of the basement and up through the floors to tie into the original interior valve, abandoning the original line.

All the dirt had to be hauled up from the basement in buckets and then hauled away. Hard to believe I was ever that young!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks