Under-rated bathroom venting fan question

Users who are viewing this thread

cherylbg

Reaction score
My upstairs master bathroom is 137" by 124", or 118 sq. ft., so I think I need to have about 140CFM fan to vent the room. The room has a shower, a bathtub, a couple of sinks, and a toilet.

I have heard a lot of great things about the Panasonic Whisper Warm vent, particularly for people who like to soak in a tub, as it has an inline heater that warms up the room. But it is only rated at 110 CFM.

Am I asking for trouble if I use a 110 CFM fan in this room? Do I need to forego the Whisper Warm, in favour of a 140 CFM fan?

Thanks for the help.
Cheryl

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I like to use a formula for about 8 air changes per hour. 118sq. ft times 8'ceiling = 944 cuft. Times 8 air changes per hour = 7552 cuft per hour. Divide by 60 gives about 125 cuft per minute. I think building codes use 6 changes per hour, which would be about 95 CFM. I do like to be on a higher number. I find it helps with mold issues.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I can't help with the specifics of your situation, but can add that I have a Panasonic fan, recommended by the handyman that I had put it in. It is one of only a few BR fans that can be mounted vertically, which was one reason I choose it.

Turns out to be a great choice - it is the quietest fan I have ever heard, yet very powerful. It can even pull our bedroom door open due to the suction it creates.

cherylbg

Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo - our ceilings are 8' - I can understand wanting 125 CFM, bu the whisper warm only comes in 110 CFM - do you think this would be good enough, if we put it on a 20 or 30 minute timer when we shower?

Thanks for the help.
Cheryl

cherylbg

Reaction score
Thanks, Steve - Panasonic seems to have a good reputation with their fans.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Instead of a timer, you can buy a humidity controlled switch...it will run until the desired humidity level is reached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks