under pressure

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by kwangtzu, Aug 18, 2005.

1. kwangtzu

kwangtzu New Member

I am hoping to do a master bath remodel which would include dual rainfall showerheads. John Bridge forum has been very helpful with tile issues, but i have a plumbing concern.

We have city water in a 100 year-old neighborhood. The water pressure at the hose bib is only 42psi and I will end up with 31 fixture units. We have 3/4" copper pipe to and from the meter.

Is there a way to get better pressure out of this system? I was thinking to increase the pipe diameter from the meter, but with 3/4 coming in it doesn't seem that it would help. Is some sort of pressure tank an option? :confused:

Thanks,

Jerry
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Most meters are 5/8" to 3/4"

That is only a short distance though. Increasing pipe size after the meter does help.
    In the Seattle area, it's common for many homes to have a 3/4" meter and a 1-1/4" pipe from the meter to the house.