under kitchen sink plastic plumbing - to seal or not to seal?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Nikita, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Hello,

I am looking to replace my kitchen sink and with it, the plumbing setup under it (here's my current setup). I suppose I will be getting plastic (PVC?) fittings but am confused as to whether I will need a sealing agent to seal the various connections - one to waste drain, p-trap, tail piece, etc. Saw lots of mentions of glue, joint compound, 'primer', teflon tape. What sealing agent - if any - should I use where?

thanks
    -nikita

PS. Is there a good reference / guide / book for the above (guessing this is a very basic question)?

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    That is a "glued together" drain system. I, and most other plumbers, prefer a tubular waste setup using slipnuts and NO glue, caulking, primer or any of the other things you mentioned.

SHR likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

SHR likes this.
  4. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Thanks, HJ - I would prefer to skip any sort of goo as well. To clarify:
    • you would not use teflon tape either
    • your comment applies to either ends of the right-side tailpiece, including on tailpiece-to-strainer side, even though the tailpiece is metal (and happens to be leaking in my case)? Or are you saying you would use a PVC tailpiece instead?
    So when people talk about gluing PVC pipe and fittings, they are describing an alternative to slip nut / threaded joining - and not an enhancement of the latter?

thanks again,
    -nikita

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    quote; they are describing an alternative to slip nut / threaded joining - and not an enhancement of the latter?
    Exactly. The materials used are immaterial as long as they are compatible.

SHR likes this.