under kitchen sink plastic plumbing - to seal or not to seal?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Nikita, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Hello,

I am looking to replace my kitchen sink and with it, the plumbing setup under it (here's my current setup). I suppose I will be getting plastic (PVC?) fittings but am confused as to whether I will need a sealing agent to seal the various connections - one to waste drain, p-trap, tail piece, etc. Saw lots of mentions of glue, joint compound, 'primer', teflon tape. What sealing agent - if any - should I use where?

thanks
    -nikita

PS. Is there a good reference / guide / book for the above (guessing this is a very basic question)?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That is a "glued together" drain system. I, and most other plumbers, prefer a tubular waste setup using slipnuts and NO glue, caulking, primer or any of the other things you mentioned.
    SHR likes this.
  3. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Thanks, HJ - I would prefer to skip any sort of goo as well. To clarify:
    • you would not use teflon tape either
    • your comment applies to either ends of the right-side tailpiece, including on tailpiece-to-strainer side, even though the tailpiece is metal (and happens to be leaking in my case)? Or are you saying you would use a PVC tailpiece instead?
    So when people talk about gluing PVC pipe and fittings, they are describing an alternative to slip nut / threaded joining - and not an enhancement of the latter?

thanks again,
    -nikita
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; they are describing an alternative to slip nut / threaded joining - and not an enhancement of the latter?
    Exactly. The materials used are immaterial as long as they are compatible.
    SHR likes this.