Under ground water main

Users who are viewing this thread

jdewees

Operating engineer
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of the compression fittings used for underground water service? The ones with the rubber ferrals.And if the there is a legal way to addapt copper to steel underground? I have not dug it up yet and I am hoping that it is copper to make my life easier.

Thanks John

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
The fittings you're looking for are called pack joint fittings. They come in a variety of configurations. What you would need for galvanized to copper transition is "whatever size" iron pipe size X "whatever size" copper tubing size (ie 3/4" IPS X 3/4" CTS). They are approved fittings for underground use here, but check your own local codes to be sure you can use them in your part of the world.

Good luck

jdewees

Operating engineer
Reaction score
I exposed the water line and it is all 1" copper,I am in a very tight situation which will make it harder to flare with my hammer type flare tool.I am a heavy equipment operator and we normally do not work with anything lower then 1 1/4 and we use these fittings that resemble compression fittings but they have rubber ferrals rather then brass rings.Do you know if they make them for 1" pipe and what are the called? Thanks John

P.S. Does corporation fittings ring a bell. I have been out of work for over a year due to injury and cannot recall the name of the fittings.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
water works / service fittings

RioHyde has already specified the compression type of fitting that I'd recommend you use.

I'm not sure what "name" you are looking for as there are so many names or tradenames used for a specific fitting or type of fittings.

So for the general category of fitting you want a water works or service fitting. The two popular brands I use are FORD (ford meter box) and McDonald (A.Y. McDonald) fittings.

claytonplumbing-01.jpg

The fittings on the Left are the Ford "pack joint" / McDonald "Mac-Pak" fittings with the rubber compression gaskets, friction rings and has a restraint clamp built into the nut. The fittings on the Right are Ford "grip-joint" fittings with the same gasket and friction ring, but uses a split bronze ring that bites into the pipe for restraint. The top center fittings are just plain brass compression / dresser couplings, but they are not approved for water service use in my area as they do not have any restraint built into the fitting. Not Pictured are Ford "quick joint" / McDonald "T compression" and "Q compression" fittings that look similar to the grip joint fittings externally but use a rubber compression ferrule with a stainless steel band on the inside middle of the ferrule for restraint.

Any of these fitting should be available at a plumbing supply or the utilities supply where you would get the corporations stops, meters and setters, saddles, curb stops........ They are available for both CTS and IPS so be sure to specify what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks