Under Cabinet Lighting with Transformer

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by crabapplemcn, Dec 12, 2008.

1. crabapplemcn

crabapplemcn New Member

If doing Led or Xenon lighting, how exactly is the wiring done. Is a switch wired to an outlet which the transformer is plugged into? If so, where is the transformer typically placed? Then the lights are strung from the transformer I assume? What if I have a kitchen with cabinets on 2 walls but the walls are far apart and serperated by a hallway, how can I get lights from transformer under both sets of cabs? thanks
  2. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

The transformer is usally placed on top of the cabinets, with the moulding at the top hiding it. As for two sets of cabinet rows, two transformers on two circuits.
  3. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

pretty hard to meet code with this setup.
  5. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

How true this is.
  6. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

When have you ever known homeowners to meet code? That is why you guys have the license. As a homeowner, I try to stay within the codes as best as the situation requires, but if cannot do it, the job does not get done by myself.
  7. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

See this post from another site.

This is becoming more and more true when time to reinsure a home today throughout the US

Things that are non-code compliant are being required to be brought to compliance before insurance can be bought.
    I am working with a homeowner who is having problems on a house they bought two months ago and still have not gotten insurance as yet.
    The bottom line is, no insurance no loan. They have already bought the home and the insurance company hired an Home Inspector thus the problems

Now if they can't get insurance they lose what they have paid down on the home which is a lot of money
  8. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Yes

In a logical location. Sometimes in a cabinet, closet or pantry. Occaisionally on top of the cabinets.

The wiring is "strung" from the transformer

Up and over, down and under or through the walls. Or add a second transformer.
  9. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

This is where the problem begins...
  10. Alectrician

IMO, it's only a technical problem.

They make rated wire but sometimes finding it isn't easy.

I think the last batch I bought was made for speaker wire because it had red/black in the round sheath.
  11. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Will Article 411 allow this?
  12. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Of course not, just another 220/221 code misunderstanding. :D
  13. Alectrician

Paste 411 and I'll give you my interpetation.

My book is at the office and I'm not going to make the 3 minute drive.
  14. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

15. Alectrician