Uncovered a narrow wet vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
Hi all,

In Ontario, and just acquired a property. Removed a basement ceiling and discovered a wet vent installation that I don't think is quite up to code. Wet vent is 1-1/2 ABS. Wet vent drains a washing machine stand pipe located on main floor. This is the only fixture upstream of wet vent. Downstream is one WC located on basement concrete

Far as I know, wet vents with one WC downstream must be 2" diameter.

Assuming I'm correct, then I'll have to break open concrete in order to fix. I am contemplating letting this repair wait for a year or two, but am wondering what the possible repercussions will be in the meantime. Slow flushing toilet while laundry is draining? Anything else to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

pub

Reaction score
Slow flushing toilet while laundry is draining? Anything else to worry about?
A photo of your laundry room, your exposed ceiling, and the vertical going into the concrete would be better. I don't believe your diagram is to scale, that makes it impossible to use for an accurate assessment.

The basement toilet is "slow" because your roof vent may be blocked, so the toilet is vacuuming thru the AAV. Small diameter roof vents are frequently blocked in Canada, they can suck all sorts of things in, even if you have no trees nearby. Wasps likes to build inside them too.

When you aren't doing a laundry load, have someone flush the basement toilet as you are beside the AAV.

The AAV manufacturer is either going to be an Arylett or an Oatey, the only two AAV's sold at Canadian retailers.

An Arylett will make this fast pumping sound.

The Oatey is more quiet, hold right up to it a smoking inscence stick and see if visible fumes are drawn into it.

Unless your home insurance policy is requiring your plumbing to be code from an inspection (doubtful), just be a homeowner and make sure nothing is blocked. Insurance companies make up their own rules about your plumbing. Some don't care. Some only require that it works without leaks, no matter how old it is. Some are totally anal and want anything non-plastic to be tossed out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks