Unconventional Shower Arm Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarv3yy

Reaction score
Hey. I'm trying to remove my shower head arm to replace it with a S arm. I have tried channel locks wih no luck. Then chipped out what pipe dope I could using a utility knife and used penetrating oil an still no luck. Any ideas of what else I can do? I'm afraid if I cut the pipe and it won't come out still I will be screwed. I included some pics of the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Shower head 1.jpeg
shower head 2.jpeg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Is the threaded portion in the pic part of the shower arm, or a fitting?

I'd keep twisting on it harder. A better pipe wrench will get a better bite, and give you more leverage. Cut it and use an extractor if that fails. One of the pros would know better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With all those marks on the shower arm, I don't know. I've never seen one installed that way, or that hard to spin out.
You may need to go into the wall on that one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I suspect that the 3/4" thread, if that is what it is, will come loose before the shower arm does. And not sure how they got the two pieces connected together.

QuasiPlumber

Reaction score
Was hoping to find a little more info here. I have a similar looking situation. Cannot remove the arm.
How is this configured? All one piece? Anyone have any more info on these types of configurations?
Thanks

IMG_4080.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
These are typically used on fiberglass or plastic shower walls. Leaving the front locknut on and as tight as possible use 2 opposing pipe wrenches to unthread.

IMG_8945.JPG
IMG_8946.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks