Uh oh.....something broke, bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

opto_isolator

Reaction score
So my neighbor called around noon time today, and said I had a ton of water coming out of my garage. They shut off the water (luckily they saw it). Once I arrived home, this is what I found:

index.php

I purchased this thing from Ohiopurewater back in Jan. I called them and talked to Dave today, who said he's never seen that before. I sent him the photos, and they said they'd call back. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this thing when I left today - it has been working excellent for the past 8 months, up until this morning. I was very lucky - as the softener is in an area that is not prone to water damage. Has this happened to anyone else before? And no - I didn't overtighten the control head when I installed it - I made sure of that!

Attachments

• IMG_20140811_140927.jpg
    IMG_20140811_140927.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_20140811_140901.jpg
    IMG_20140811_140901.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 313

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't say that I've seen that either. Must be ever a bad moulding or is it by chance a Chinese knock off valve?

opto_isolator

Reaction score
Doubtful that it is a knockoff - since I bought from a reputable dealer. He called back and said they would ship out a replacement control valve, with a return tag for the damaged one. Thank goodness for good service!!!

opto_isolator

Reaction score
Now the question remains - do I need to drain the tank or should I be OK? The riser pipe didn't come up, from what I see. It was held in place by the top basket. I'm wondering if it's OK to leave the tank full until the new head comes, rather than dump everything out, try to capture the resin and gravel, or just flush it when I get the new one. Any recommendations?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the distributor tube didn't move or wasn't damaged you should be able to leave everything and replace the valve. Did any pieces of the old one fall into the tank?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I have seen this before on several different control valves. It could be an anomaly in the plastic, or it could result from a lack of flexibility in the plumbing. The most common cause is the plumbing hanging on the control valve. That being said, I have seen it even with flexible connectors being used which would negate the weight of the plumbing. I have also seen this in areas of extreme pressure. Water pressure should be tested regularly if you are in an area that uses pumped instead of gravity pressure. I have seen areas in Southern California that exceed 200 PSI at night.

Fleck and Clack will both take care of that without any problem.

opto_isolator

Reaction score
That's what Dave from Ohiopure said as well - could have been a pressure spike. Is there any way to guard against those? I wouldn't think that the CPVC plumbing would cause that. Should I try and secure it to the wall?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a "water fuse" that could be placed in a water line to monitor the flow and if it exceeded a certain amount, trip a shutoff?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks