Ugh - Contractor tells me he is unable to install my expensive Hansgrohe Citterio tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Onokai

Reaction score
I would go with the tub side to protect the shower walls/pan
The tub surround is less trouble and an easier fix-you just need a few GOOD pros.
Mark

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Casual observation,

If the guy doing the work was a knowledgeable plumber and had the spout on site when he did the valve install, he would know how that spout installed and should have made provisions to properly install it.

Therefore, the plumber is the guy who has to take the loss, NOT the customer who had the specified materials on site.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the installation instructions for your tub spout. It shows you need a 3/4" female fitting 3/8" below finished wall. It looks like your spout also comes with a 1/2" adaptor or maybe the inside of the 3/4" adaptor has 1/2" threads also.

http://www.hayneedle.com/images/PDF/YOW3764.pdf

Since the spout adaptor fitting is threaded onto the wall fitting, maybe (and its a long shot), you could remove the o-ring, slide the adaptor over the pipe and solder the adaptor directly to the pipe from the inside of adaptor.

A 1/2" threaded brass nipple will slide over 1/2" copper pipe and could be soldered on.

There doesn't seem to be any water pressure being held back by the fitting for the spout since the spout doesn't have a diverter on it. I assume the diverter is part of the handle. Probably not the best idea but you might be able to epoxy the adaptor to the pipe if it can't be soldered.

Best thing would be to open up the tub wall and fix at the contractor's expense.

EDIT. Since the hex wrench size is 12mm which is a little less than 1/2" there might be enough material to drill it out to slide over your pipe with a bit of pipe protruding so it could be soldered from the outside. You would also probably have to cut some of the threads off to shorten the adaptor so it ends up in the correct distance from wall.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks