UF instead of submersible well pump cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Can you use UF submersed in a deep well to connect to a pump if it's wired into a GFCI?
It seems to be very hard to find submersible wire where I am.
Is there any difference in the wire that makes it especially suited for submersible applications?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will conduct the power, but it's a PIA to work with.

Tie wraps do not properly secure wire to pipe that hangs in a well. I've seen wire ties settle so there is nothing supporting the weight of the wire, then the wire drags on the wall of the well which chafes off the insulation.

I've never seen a submersible pump wired into a GFCI.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
It will conduct the power, but it's a PIA to work with.

Tie wraps do not properly secure wire to pipe that hangs in a well. I've seen wire ties settle so there is nothing supporting the weight of the wire, then the wire drags on the wall of the well which chafes off the insulation.

I've never seen a submersible pump wired into a GFCI.
So, what do you secure the wire with? Scotch tape will just come undone in the water?

It's 115V so I want to connect it to a GFCI mounted on a nearby lamppost - especially as it's just for irrigation and all outside receptacles have to be GFCI. The proper 220V well pump we have is wired into the panel.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You should be using stranded conductors in this application as they can better accommodate any vibration/flexing imparted to the cable by the pump. I've not seen UF cable with stranded conductors.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Also, do you use brass clamps to attach the polypipe to the pump brass connector underwater? Cannot seem to find brass collar clamps much.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because...brass clamps would not have the strength or integrity. If the water has a low pH, the acids would eat up the brass quickly. If you're installing a pump with a stainless discharge head, you want to use a stainless insert x male adapter. Dissimilar metals don't get along well under water.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Because...brass clamps would not have the strength or integrity. If the water has a low pH, the acids would eat up the brass quickly. If you're installing a pump with a stainless discharge head, you want to use a stainless insert x male adapter. Dissimilar metals don't get along well under water.
And if you install a pump with a brass head?
Then you add stainless clamps, which rust? :confused:
Most of the stores seem to sell only brass adapters for the 1" polypipe to attach to.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good quality stainless clamps don't rust or fall apart. In addition, they are insulated from the brass by the poly pipe.

Dissimilar metals don't get along. When brass and stainless are combined, most of the time the brass will fail.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
And if you install a pump with a brass head?
Then you add stainless clamps, which rust? :confused:
Most of the stores seem to sell only brass adapters for the 1" polypipe to attach to.

Brass barb fittings are fine with a brass pump head, extra length for two clamps is better. Even with good Stainless Steel clamps I would tape over them with electric tape to seal them as best I could.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks