U shaped cut-out at top of DrakeTank

Users who are viewing this thread

tgrady

Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie here. Is there supposed to be an intentional u-shaped cut-out at the top, rear of my Drake Tank? Per Toto it is intentional and non- defective. They say it helps in forming the material. I say it is a way to expose more moisture to the rear wall and will create more noise at flush. Can anyone comment or am I worrying about nothing. Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's very little noise from the tank, anyways. It's part of their mold pattern, so yes, it's supposed to be there. To get moisture, you need air movement, and there's very little in and out of the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot of the manufacturers have a cut-out in the back.

You can also argue that it helps the flush, by allowing air in the tank as the water drops.

tgrady

Reaction score
Haha! Thanks Gary! Can you maybe explain why the roughly 4 inches square worth of material is missing on the back, top of the tank where the cover sits? Is this a normal manufacturing feature for toilets? It is not on my old Drake or my new Ultramax and infact frankly, looks like a defect. We build our homes with a different product but I have yet to see it in those either. Lastly is it common with new Totos coming off the line vs old ones?

tgrady

Reaction score
I see. Nontheless it was unsual compared to the other two, though there is a smallish sort of divot under and slightly behind the tank top lid of the others. And so was a little less unnerving, than this new tank. I suppose that serves the same function as the cut-out does or could serve. Well thank you guys you've answered my question! :O)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well, it's certainly not in all of them. I do see it sometimes though. Most of the time it looks like a half moon cutout.

I see one Drake lid here with a little indent in the lid where it meets the tank. Go figure.
It's about 1" across, very nicly done. But the others don't have it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks