Typical cleanout sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Timothy LaDuca

Reaction score
I contacted the city (re: this thread) and they finally came and installed a cleanout at the property line, but I'm surprised by how large it is. I figured the point of a cleanout is to just to get a snake in there. This thing is 7". Is this common?
IMG_0660.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The rule is that the cleanout has to have an opening the same size as the pipe up to 4". Above 4" a 4" opening is all that is "required", but it looks like they installed a 6" cleanout which is better, but no required, but a sweep fitting would be what a plumber would have had to use to get passed by an inspector. To be honest, the job looks like what a handyman would have done, i.e., using a tee, thin pipe for the riser and a slip on cap rather than a screwed in plug., none of them to "plumber" standards. It is useless for snaking towards the house because of the two elbows adjacent to it, and the pipe to the street, from that point, seldom, if ever, gets plugged up.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks