feel there is very good reason.

Should we be concerned?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Ari and Erin

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope HJ or some of the highly experienced professional plumbers will pick up on this because they will likely be familiar with the yellow brass pipes. I am not a pro and I have never heard of this kind of pipes. That said, I would go with the new copper because you would then know for absolute certain that the plumbing was good and the GC would then have to provide the guarantee. Moreover, why is the plumbing subcontractor trying to change the specs he has been hire to follow? He may be right about the condition of the old pipes, but he has no business changing the GC's contract with him.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

Brass pipes can deteriorate, but it might take longer than you or I live. Unless they show obvious signs of leaking, namely obvious corrosion stains, then I would not worry about them. I have worked on houses with brass pipes buried in the ground under the floor and the pipes were still in "perfect" condition. he only system I ever had to abandon was one with copper pipes and brass fittiings. In that case the brass fittings became brittle and would crack, but they were much thinner than the ones used with brass pipe.

Plumguy

Reaction score
You really don't have to be a plumber to make a visual inspection of you're pipes! Do they look like they are in excellent condition especially the joints? Is all this brass being left going to be exposed? If you are comfortable with how they look then live with them. If not, then have the plumber abide by the original contract.

mcteague

Reaction score
thanks.. very helpful.

thanks guys. very relieved. they look fine to my eye. i think it was just a communication error GC-plumber-us. the work has been great other than this snafu. but happy to hear we made the right decision. thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks