Two Washer/Dryers

Users who are viewing this thread

ragedriven

Reaction score
see attached picture
or
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2571/4109123195_1bac978025_o.jpg
putting in two sets of washer dryers on the opposite sides of one wall (2x4).

I have an existing 2" drain coming out of concrete floor, everything else is planned

i plan to put a clean out near floor followed by a sanitary cross branching out with a 2" vent to basement ceiling vented to side of house.

My questions:

(1)
Will the 2" drain line be capable of draining 2 washers? The books i've seen list the fixture unit FU of a washer at 2, with a total of 4 for the 2 washers. The listed max FU of a verticle 2" pipe is listed as 10 and the max FU of a horizontal 2" pipe is 6. The 2" pipe coming out of floor changes to a 3" by a 3/2 bushing below the slab before it goes horizontal, so there is never a horizontal 2" segment of pipe carrying double capacity. The 3" pipe was not carried up the wall because it is 2x4.

[QUESTIONS 2&3 might need to be asked in another forum]
(2)
Being a 2x4 wall, a 4" dryer vent will not fit. I plan on running 3" dryer vent to ceiling and transitioning to 4", for each dryer seperately. Is this unsafe to have an approximately 6 ft. section of 3" vent pipe for each dryer or merely not ideal. Worst case i could use 2x2 lumber to widen the wall to allow 4" dryer vent.

(3)
I have to have the washer/dryer on the right stacked. How is this laid out? Dryer is ontop of washer right? not sure of height requirements.

Please correct me, typically 120V washer outlet is higher than washer box incase of leaks. and the dryer vent and 240v would be higher than the washer box in a stacked setup.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 9,339

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have two washers in a basement seperated by a divider wall. It is a 2 family duplex. I redid the washer drains last year. Both are 2" with vents and connect with combo-wyes into the horizontal 4" main right where it exits the house. If both of your washers happened to drain at the same time I think you'd have a backup issue with your proposed setup. Washers push that water out with a lot of force. I have an older washing machine and it's plenty strong when it discharges the water. I have read that newer machines pump with more force and volumn than the older models.......

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Rich B is right, you can't use that double tee in your hook-up, you can use whats called a #5 fitting or modify your lay-out.

ragedriven

Reaction score
what is a #5 fitting?

given an existing 2" vertical pipe sticking out of the concrete (which quickly changes to a 3" vertical pipe below slab via 3/2 bushing), how would i route these two washers to it.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
what is a #5 fitting?

given an existing 2" vertical pipe sticking out of the concrete (which quickly changes to a 3" vertical pipe below slab via 3/2 bushing), how would i route these two washers to it.

Change that "double tee" fitting to a double wye fitting and you should be ok. Your 2 washing machines will then be "symmetrically connected".

Like this

temppic.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks