Two shower head installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

968Z

Reaction score
I am doing a DIY bathroom remodel, part of which involves an idea to install two basic shower heads on opposite sides of the shower stall. My father has a similar setup in a condo that was built 25-30 years ago. A single control handle on one side, two heads, and two shutoff valves on the supply arms. It is a simple design that works great. His shower heads have equal flow instantaeously as soon as you turn on the shower. I would like to do the same at my place. I am not adding a rain shower head, body sprays, or a hand held. I just want a simple two head system controlled by one control.

I see many different ideas and recommendations, but I am going for simple, as described above. Is it possible to just install something like a moen 3570 pressure-balancing valve and then run supply lines to each of the heads? Any advice would be welcome.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Code doesn't allow a standard shower faucet to have shutoffs at the shower head that seal completely. That can cause a cross over in the valve. They do make shutoffs for that location with a slight weep.
Moen and Delta do make in wall diverters for their products.

Thermostatic valves like the HansGrohe can be installed with a built in diverter that runs either head or both at the same time. Those have built in checks.

968Z

Reaction score
Yes. I would be putting shut off valves like these (http://showerbuddy.com/Zoe_Industri...hower_Head_Shut_Off/shower_head_shut_off.html) on both heads to regulate the spray, but they will always be on for the most part.

Just saw the second post. I was trying to avoid a second control on the shower wall. If I do have to use a diverter, Can I just cut it in past the existing Moen valve? I think its just and old Chateau from 1993. Thank you again for the advice an comments.

Last edited:

968Z

Reaction score
Thank you. One last "dumb" question. If I were to just "T" off the existing valve and just use the above mentioned cutoffs, would I be ok? This is a stand alone shower, no tub spout.

968Z

Reaction score
Ok. It's Fiday afternoon and I'm just not thinking straight. So just to be clear - I can "T" off the existing valve, run a new line to the new head, and with both cut offs open, I should see equal (or close to it) spray pressure, or I need the pressure balancing valve, and then make the two runs? Sorry to be such a PITA...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any shower valve should runs two heads at the same time.

In the last twenty years, they added pressure balancing or thermostatic to the plumbing codes.
Anytime the wall is open, the valve should be updated. However, it's your home, and your money.
After a while, it may be hard finding parts for old valves though.

968Z

Reaction score
Thank you! Great site. glad I found you guys. On an unrelated note, I miss the Pacific Northwest. Originally an Oregon boy, stuck in this hellhole they call Georgia. Have a great weekend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks