Two questions about Delta shower mixing valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Davebutch

Reaction score
I'm a DIY'er remodeling our 50-year old bathroom. The bathroom has a tub and shower, and I installed a Delta R10000-UNWS rough-in valve. I was very careful to set it at the right depth in the wall for the size tile and backer I'll be using. Based on a combination of what I read on this forum, and what I prefer, I set the valve 47 inches from the floor, and set the tub spout about 4 inches above the rim of the tub. This makes the distance between the tub spout and the mixing valve 29 inches. So, I read in the instructions AFTER everything was soldered that the maximum distance between the between the valve and the tub spout is to be no more than 18 inches. It isn't too late to lower the valve, but I'd rather not. What are the ramifications if I leave it the way it is and the distance exceeds 18 inches? Will something not work right?

Also in the instructions for pressure testing and flushing the newly installed valve, it says to install the stops AFTER testing and flushing the valve. If I turn on the supply without the stops in the valve, will water not come out the ports where the stops go in the valve?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Both recommendations are from an overzealous "engineer" who has never even worked on one of these valves. The distance to the spout is fine as long as you use copper for the connection, You can flush the lines anytime you want to, regardless of whether the stops are installed or not. In fact, I "flush the lines" after the installation is complete and I turn on the valve to check the flow.

Davebutch

Reaction score
Thanks so much. This puts my mind at ease. I really didn't want to re-position the valve and cut and re-solder all the copper lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks