Two problems - controller leaking, underground pvc broken somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginnyginny

Reaction score
One of the controllers for my garden sprinklers is spewing water. What's the best way to fix this? I've seen one You-tube video showing how to take it apart; looks like I could do it.

My second problem is worse. I've got water puddling on my lawn when I am hand watering. I believe the water spigot for my hose is connected to the pvc pipes under the lawn. Since I don't have a diagram of the layout of the pvc pipes for the lawn I'm not sure where to begin digging to find the leak.

Thanks,
Ginny

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is you call a "controller". If it is the electrically operated valve, then you may be able to repair it yourself. You will need to know the brand and model. Depending on its location and access, sometimes a irrigation repair serviceman is your best bet. Yeah, I know is will cost some $$, but it could end up costing less to have a pro do it than DIY. As far as the leak is concerned, I have to assume the pipe that is broken is not part of the automatic irrigation system otherwise it would only leak when that particular zone was operating. Then only way you can find the leak is with a shovel. You just have to dig where the wet spot is. Pipes are laid in straight lines, so if you can determine where the pipe begins, and eyeball a straight line to the hose bib, you will have a line to start digging. Otherwise, just start digging in the center of the wet area, find the pipe and you should then be able to determine the direction to the leak. Digging out PVC can be tricky as a shovel can knock a hole in a PVC pipe fairly easily. Not much science to this, just common sense and shovel work. Once the leak is located, they make special couplers that make repairs very simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks