Two piece tub/shower install in narrow room

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ripout, Jul 10, 2011.

1. ripout

ripout New Member

My bathroom is 58 1/2" wide and I want to install a 54" two piece Lasco tub/shower unit. I believe it will go through the door opening but will I be able to turn it in the space to install?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That is a problem in Geometry, which we do not have enough information to answer you.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

hj nailed this one! For all you boys and girls in school who think " well, I wil be a plumber, so I don't need no steeeenkin' geometry" OH YES YOU DO!

You will have to draw some sketches of the tub...3 dimension, diagonal measurements, etc.

In general, YES you can get a new tub in there. The sink and toile may have to be temporarily removed. The one piece surround should also go, but that is a different problem. Think about the 2,3, and 5 piece surrounds.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you are wall to wall 58.5", then most likely it has been framed in at 60"
    I would pull drywall and remeasure. It's it's 60" or a smidge more, go with a standard 60" tub and either the kit walls for it, or sometime like tile or cultured marble.

The two piece units tend to bolt up from behind, which is going to make it tough to install and then swivel into place.