Two outlets from one switch

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by arfeller, Mar 31, 2012.

1. arfeller

arfeller New Member

I would like to supply two outlets from one switch. However, the outlets are on opposite sides of the room with the switch in the middle. Normally, i would daisy chain the outlets together but in this case I would rather have them both fed from switch independently.

I don't think putting two wires (12-2) on one terminal is a good idea so my current thought is to use a small pigtail and wire nut the two circuits to a pigtail and then attach the pigtail to the switch.

Would this be appropriate or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thank you for your time.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Whether this is a good idea at all...I don't know. But for sure, you are not supposed to put more than one wire on a screw. I don't see why pigtailing the connection would not be OK<
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

4. arfeller

arfeller New Member

Yep, one hot pair and two load pairs out. I bought an oversized (deep) box so things tucked in very neatly.

Thank you both for the response
  5. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

I don't see a problem with that at all, pig-tails are the most professional way of accomplishing most of these tasks.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The only other way to do it would be with a switch with 2 back openings, but the ones with a screw to tighten the wires, not a "back stabbed" connection.