Two Mixet valves with different pressure...help anybody?

Users who are viewing this thread

dab1968

Reaction score
I have two bathrooms in my home, built around 1991. They are on opposing walls, as in mirrors of each other, for the sake of structural symmetry I suppose. One shower has wonderful pressure, the other is lousy by comparison. They both have Mixet valves. I have replaced the valve cartridge in the one with the low pressure twice in the last 10-15 years, mostly due to an undying hope that the pressure would improve. I have not replaced the one that has the high pressure yet because "if it ain't broke". What am I doing wrong? Is my house on an ancient Indian burial ground, should I call a priest, or maybe Ghostbusters? I do not have the mixing problem I have read so much about, temps seem to work properly in both units. The only difference I can tell between the two units is that the one that is still original (high pressure) has a slightly shorter retaining nut for some reason. To me this says "variable". But I would think that this would indicate a shorter cartridge if anything. But shorter, to me, seems like there would be less opening movement resulting in lower pressure instead of higher. But I'm not exactly sure how the whole thing works inside anyway, so I speculate. Unfortunately since I have not had this one apart, other than to update the handles, I don't know what differences may lay just beyond the nut if any. The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe there is some type of adjustment in/on the valve assembly itself which is hidden behind the shower enclosure. Sounds crazy, but I've seen crazier. Can anyone help me out with this mystery?

dab1968

Reaction score
Your problems are probably in the shower heads, NOT the valve itself.
Except that the low pressure is with the tub spout as well, before it ever makes it to the shower head. Not to mention that showerhead is the one from the other shower, as I switched that one to a hand-held. No matter what I put in the first one the pressure is high, even filtered heads. When I put the exact same one (not model, the actual ONE) in the other shower the pressure is still no more than half. Even just coming out of the spout at the bottom it is super low compared to the other one. Think Rain vs Floodgate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have never seen one, but I understand that Mixet made a pressure balanced valve, and if yours is one of those the balancing spool may not be working. The valves I am familiar with, which are used in this area, only use two different stems and they are so differeent that they cannot be interchanged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks