Two drain pipes in kitchen: question

Users who are viewing this thread

Meknowy

Reaction score
Hi, I am remodeling my kitchen and worked myself into a bit of trouble. I realize this was my own dumb mistake, but I wanted to check what I think is a solution.

While remodeling, I installed a deeper sink, which dropped my garbage disposer a couple inches. The disposer outflow is now below the sink drain pipe which runs into the wall. Based on everything I know about gravity and plumbing, this won't work out.

There is an older, capped drain pipe (six inches lower) behind the dishwasher which also runs into the wall; it ties into the wall pipe in the wall with a wye. Is there any reason I shouldn't run my sink pipes to the lower drain pipe and cap the one I was using before? Then, everything would run downhill, and all the water should still end up in the same place. I think this should work, but would like some reassurance from somebody with more experience.

Thanks for the help!

6t7gto

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Is the drain capped off because someone moved the sink over to make room for a dishwasher?
The capped drain may be functional.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The capped "drain" should be into a "T" and is a cleanout. Technically, since it is NOT a "sweep" fitting, it would not qualify for use as a drain, but as a practical matter, it will work perfectly.

Meknowy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sorry I don't know the right terminology. I don't think it's a cleanout. It runs down steeply and into the drainpipe in the wall, so it wouldn't work like cleanouts I'm familiar with. The capped pipe actually has a screw-in plug, if that helps. I cannot imagine how it wouldn't "work right." It's about six inches from the plug into the drain pipe, and even if it were clogged it would be easy to clean. If it leaked, it would have been easier to fix than reinstall a foot away. It looks like it could be an abandoned drain from before somebody moved a sink over, as 6t7gto said.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a cleanout, just not one "you are familiar with". Technically, since it "runs steeply into the drain pipe", it should NOT be used as a drain because it will create an "S" trap, (more properly a 3/4" S trap, but the distinction is minor), which can create other problems.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the drains are running vertical, it's pretty easy to open the wall and cut in the proper santee lower down.

I do this pretty often now with the deeper 10" sinks.

Meknowy

Reaction score
It's not an S trap; I must not be explaining myself properly. Anyway, since I am more interested in selling than living here forever, I think the simplest option will be to go back to a shallower sink. Appreciate all the help, folks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote" I must not be explaining myself properl

yYou seem to be expaining yoursself properly, and if that is the case, it is an "S" trap regardless of what you think it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks