Two designs of a new washroom for review

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Buttonsrtoys, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'm adding a half-bath to on the first floor and tying into an existing sanitary line for the full bath above. Below are two designs. Design "A" runs the vent for the half-bath above the flood level of the fixtures in the full bath. Design "B" is a bit simpler on paper, but the existing riser is in an exterior wall next to a post at the point of the tie-in, so its a bit trickier to build than design "A". The sketches don't show the jogs in plan-view, which some lengths I relate may look out of scale.

I annotated the sketches with ABS pipe sizes and lengths. Blue lines are the existing sanitary, green is the new.

Are both of these designs OK? Code-wise, I'm in Nova Scotia.

WashroomA.jpg
    WashroomB.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Desigh "A" is the only one that will work and that assumes you actually install it the way it is drawn. "B" would not pass any code that I am aware of.
  3. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

Thanks hj. I'll install "A" as drawn. What's wrong with "B"?
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

"B" is not acceptable because once the line has been used for a drain, it can no longer be used as a vent. The only exception is the wet vent of the water closet past the lavatory.
  5. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

"B" is the old "single stack" plumbing system design, as far as I know it was outlawed in the early part of the last century.
    Also, in "A", I think you need to keep the toilet/lav vent size at 2 inches all the way up, rather than reducing down to 1 1/2
    inch as shown.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A

And like mentioned above, keep the lav, including the vent, 2" all the way up to the next floor on the revent.
    You can use the 1.5" traparm for the p-trap on the lav.

Below is an example of wet venting

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  7. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

Thanks guys. "A" it is with a 2" vent. Wet venting makes my head spin...
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Wet venting makes my head spin

Wet venting is simple, but your ""B" is an illegal "wet vent" because you cannot wet vent between floors.
  9. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

Ah. That clarifies what was confusing me. So wet vents are OK provided their short/restricted to the same floor. Thanks! Now I'm curious - why are long wet vents between floors a problem?
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The same reason that standpipes can only be so long. They siphon traps.