Twisted off old Delta 600 shower valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

bugs11

Reaction score
Thought I would fix the leaky shower head last night and I fixed it alright, twisted the 3 3/8 copper lines apart. Anyway, my question is should I replace the 3 3/8 copper lines in the valve assembly or just go buy the latest, greatest Delta or Moen shower valve, cut a hole in the wall behind the shower, and replace the busted valve and be done with it? I don’t have any qualms about tackling either job, I’m pretty handy - haven't done a great lot of plumbing per se, but it doesn't intimidate me.

Soldering the 3 lines into the fixture inside the wall through the hole for the valve might be kind of tricky though, not a lot of room, and there’s this plastic spacer thing between the shower fixture and the fiberglass shower. I think I answered my own question. (Where’s my drywall saw?)

FWIW - The Delta 600 was installed in 1993 when the house was built and had never been serviced. The hall bathroom has the same valve, so I get another chance at removing a Delta 600 bonnet that has never moved in 22 years.

delta_600_02.jpg

Photo added by Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd probably be happier with a new valve with new trim. While it's potentially possible to fix that, it's not the easiest job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I HAVE repaired many of them, but it is not something I would advise a DIYer to try. The secret is to NOT twist the body when you remove the cap nut.

delta-600-bent-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks