Twist N Set Closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

OneProject

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to install a 3" Oatey Twist N Set closet flange on 3" short sweep copper drain pipe. The problem I'm having is that the Twist n Set is too long and cannot be inserted all the way due to the curvature of the copper pipe it is fitting into.

Secondly, it seems the seal between the gasket and inside of the copper is REAL tight and I'm tempted to use some lubricant to be able to install it without destroying the gasket. If the pipe were a few millimeters larger in inner diameter, I wouldn't have this problem. lol.

A few questions:
1) If I saw off part of the twist-n-set downpipe so it will fit, will it still work?

2) Can I apply a little lubricant (mineral oil?) to facilitate installation of the shortened closet flange?

3) If not, are there any other easy to install closet flanges for this application? I can't seem to find a copper flange for the life of me and I'm afraid if I do, it is going to be in the $50 to $100 range....

Thanks,
Steve

Livin4Real

Reaction score
As far as lubricant you can use a little soapy water, the rest I can't help on.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you tried the self-sealing flange that has the 3 hex screws? The rubber gasket flares out as you tighten the hex screws, so you can tighten them only as much as you need to.

I'm not sure if it comes in 3" though.

OneProject

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I've been looking for other 3" compression flanges but can only find gasketed or oring push in flanges. If anyone knows of a shorter 3" flange that can go in copper, please, let me know.

Still wondering about shortening the twist-n-set...

Thanks a bunch,
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks