Tust around tub flange/drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hinrichsscott, Sep 17, 2008.

1. hinrichsscott

hinrichsscott New Member

I have a standard tub but there is a growing rust spot in the tub right by the chrome drain flange (not on the flange itself). I want to take out the flange, sand down the rust, seal with enamel epoxy, and then re-install the flange. I have no access to under the tub. Can this be done? I've installed drains in sinks before but that was always from underneath. Can I remove the drain flange without access to under the tub? How? Can I re-install without creating a leak - will plumber's putty seal it? Will sanding down and coating the rust work to stop (or at least slow down) the growing rust in the tub?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Sounds like a steel tub close to the end of it's life...
    That would have Do Not Disturb written all over it unless you are ready to remodel now.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

If it is a failing cast iron tub, (and it would be rare if it were), and the drain plug is not frozen in place because of a poor installation, you may be able to do it. But if it is a steel tub, when you remove the plug you may find the entire area underneath it has rusted away and there is no way to repair it.