Turning on sprinkler for spring

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Fred44, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Fred44

Fred44 New Member

Just had an 8 zone irrigation system installed last fall & was winterized. I have what appears to be a master valve underground in my front yard directly off the main water shut off. It has a yellow handle that is currently perpendicular to the pipe (like a 'T'). The side of the house has above ground cover with a regular hose on/off handle (circular) and two blue handles that are both horizontal (in line) with the pipe.

Above ground housing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76128187@N04/6836508658/

Below ground valve: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76128187@N04/6836507782/
  2. Mitchgo

Mitchgo New Member

Connect your Back Flow Assembly back up with the Unions. ( Reduced Pressure Back Flow Assembly) and then slowly open up the yellow handle in the inground box.
  3. Mitchgo

Mitchgo New Member

Next time if they disconnect the rp, they need to cover up those openings so debris won't get inside of the system.
  4. cswanson

cswanson New Member

Glad you winterized. You'd be surprised at the number of people we see who opt not to do that, and we're up north in MN.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I take my BF out each fall and store it inside just in case there is any water left inside. These double check valves are too expensive to risk having one freeze and break. Then I use small plastic food storage bags and heavy rubber bands over the exposed union ends to keep debris out. It doesn't have to be air or water tight.