turning off a lamp

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by v1rtu0s1ty, Dec 22, 2008.

1. v1rtu0s1ty

v1rtu0s1ty DIY Senior Member

Hi folks,

I'm going to build a mini greenhouse for a plant. Inside this mini greenhouse is a 100 or 150 watt lamp. I'm looking for a cheap solution that can turn OFF this lamp when temperature inside greenhouse reaches 40F. It can also turn the lamp to ON when temp inside greenhouse goes down to 30F. I'm not really good in electrical so I don't know what to look for. Right now, I'm thinking thermostat but that's it.

Are there products like this?

Thanks!
  2. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

First buy a thermometer and install it inside your house near a window that faces the greenhouse.

Next install this product and use it whenever you see the temperature at the limits you want:

[​IMG]
  3. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

4. v1rtu0s1ty

v1rtu0s1ty DIY Senior Member

Awesome. I will contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the link. ;)

So looking at the link, what I really need is the heating outlet. That is an awesome product!

Thanks again!
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

The thermostat contacts have to be able to handle a tungsten load. If you can't find one, you need to have the tstat control a relay that can handle a tungsten load.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I will go out on a limb and say that any product which is designed to have a regular AC plug plugged in to it will be adequate for a 100 watt flood bulb. But of course, I am sure the manufacturer can provide a detailed spec sheet to be sure.
  7. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

And I will be busy sawing off the limb you are on!:p

You're probably right. This is not some huge incandescent or motor load.