Turn valve will not completely shut off water

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rosem637, Mar 28, 2013.

1. rosem637

rosem637 Member

Have an outdoor spigot that for the past 2 years I have not been able to shut the water off to completely. The spigot itself shuts the water off completely but the shutoff inside the house will not. No matter how hard I crank on the shut off, the water from the spigot will still not shut completely off. ANy ideas? Is it time to replace the shut off?
    My shut off is a stop and waste valve almost like the one below.

Attached Files:

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Try replacing the washer in it and inspect the seat while you have it apart.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I don't mess around with repairing old valves anymore. There are very few applications where installing a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve is not the right thing to do.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

This would be one of them unless the 1/4 turn valve has a "drain port", which few do. All this one needs is a new rubber washer.
  5. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

If your shutoff is a stop valve the seat washer may be cracked/damaged. Happened to me. Could not get it to shutoff. Came to find out is was a damaged seat washer. I ended up cutting it out and soldering in a ball valve. Then I took the old apart to disect.

Attached Files:

• 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Most people would take it apart FIRST, in which case they would have seen the bad washer and replaced it. Job done, and they still had the "cap" to drain the water out so the faucet did not freeze and break.
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

For most DIY'ers it would be easier to replace a washer than to sweat in a new valve.
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I'm done replacing washers. I think all the replacement washers are coming from overseas, as I can't find any decent ones anymore.

HJ, I don't have any problems getting 1/4 turn ball valves with drain ports.
  9. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Thats possible.

You know 1/2 ball valves are made with a drain port. Not really too hard to find.