turn furnace into a fan for summer?!?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by rbico, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Dana

Dana In the trades

"Well insulated" means different things to different people (and in different climates.) A mere 11" of fiberglass in the attic wouldn't even make current code-min in much of New England. The 5.5" batts on 2x6" construction would meet current code if they're a high density type, but the typical R19s wouldn't make the grade. To me "very well insulated" means "better than code", not code-minimum, not that there's anything wrong with the current code minimums. I suspect the code-min for Calgary is about your level of insulation, which is fine, but it doesn't come with braggin' rights. ;-)

Your attic venting scheme is probably doing more for cooling the conditioned space than the furnace-fan (which is still behaving as a 600-1000W space heater, after all.)
  2. Russell Gooch

Russell Gooch New Member

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead but it is pretty easy if you have the extra wires just not hooked up on the tstat side and or furnace side turn off power to furnace then hook up the G wire if you do not have the wires or compatable tstat you can literally run two wires to a switch like a toggle or light switch to the exterior of the furnace or even simply jumper the R wire and the G wire.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I hope you washed your hands after digging up this corpse.

One thing I did not see mention of is humidity and mold. If not controlled, sometimes it is best to leave the basement air where it is rather than circulate it. Drawing warm humid air down into the basement can create mold issues with the fan spreading the mold spores throughout.