Tubmount.com? is this a failed startup or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh, dear God, I just can't remember how many times I've shut down a job to call in a real carpenter to install a 2x4 ledger for a tub install. Dudes, you've saved my life!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt this company will make their first billion with this product.

Most plumbers nail the ledger 2x4 on one end and screw it on the other end, bring in the tub, check level, remove the tub, make an adjustment, complete nailing and set the tub.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
So the question I have about this method and I am purely asking for my bath project is how do you do that with the mortar bed?

Kohler doesn't say I even need the ledger so am I over complicating it?

Reach4

Reaction score
So the question I have about this method and I am purely asking for my bath project is how do you do that with the mortar bed?
For your mortar, I suggest this search in this forum: mortar piles
Usually you want the mortar with plastic above, below, or both. You could also put the mortar blobs into loose plastic bags. I don't know what comes to your mind for "mortar bed", but you don't want a flat bed. I think the bags would be good and prevent drying out the mortar, and let it harden as it should.

I don't know about the ledger board. That tub mount thing looks useful, especially if you were using a cast iron tub and a ledger board.
Why not get a couple of metal framing straps from HD and do the same thing (If you like the idea)?
The slots and the pry hole at the top would not be present on a framing strap.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
For your mortar, I suggest this search in this forum: mortar piles
Usually you want the mortar with plastic above, below, or both. You could also put the mortar blobs into loose plastic bags. I don't know what comes to your mind for "mortar bed", but you don't want a flat bed. I think the bags would be good and prevent drying out the mortar, and let it harden as it should.

I don't know about the ledger board. That tub mount thing looks useful, especially if you were using a cast iron tub and a ledger board.

The slots and the pry hole at the top would not be present on a framing strap.

I have done the mortar bed for a drop in tub, so I am somewhat familiar with it. But for an alcove I am not sure how I would get the tub leveled in on the mortar bed AND get the ledger height correct. I was thinking I could hang the ledger with the strapping, level the tub in the bed, pull up the ledger to where it's touching the tub without altering level, just for extra support.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have never put in a tub at all. But it seems to me that the mortar piles would be treated like a wax toilet ring: it should only be compressed on the way down to level, and not lifted back up to level things. That seems quite doable with the procedure that you describe. It seems that you could also have the ledger board a bit high and let it lower to level.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I have never put in a tub at all. But it seems to me that the mortar piles would be treated like a wax toilet ring: it should only be compressed on the way down to level, and not lifted back up to level things. That seems quite doable with the procedure that you describe. It seems that you could also have the ledger board a bit high and let it lower to level.

I don't think the mortar bed would lift up as a ring would especially if plastic is used, but, I have never tried.

How would you lower the ledger without some contraption such as this one?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think the mortar bed would lift up as a ring would especially if plastic is used, but, I have never tried.
Just as a wax ring will not lift up, a mortar pile will not lift up.
How would you lower the ledger without some contraption such as this one?
My last sentence intended to refer to a possibility when using that contraption.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Gotcha. Too bad the contraption seems to be MIA so I might look at using some strapping or possibly just forego the ledger all together since instructions do not call for it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I install a ledger board using a level first.
Find the high point of the floor where the apron sits, and then from that point, mark the walls. The ledger gets screwed into the wall first, and then the tub gets dropped down. You may need to shim the apron if the floor is out of level along the apron.

I checked out their video, and having done this for years................I'm sticking with what I do.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Didn't mean to be overly snide, but seems like everybody who's installing a tub just grabs up a 2x4 and a level and makes it work ala Terry Love, and many others, including me.
Now, if someone wants to make a useful product that plumbers would use, if someone would make a harness with a flat hook on it below waist level that would allow me to pick up a toilet bowl and put the weight on the harness by hooking the bottom lip of the bowl and carry the bowl across the yard and up a flight of stairs? I'll be your first customer. I'm no spring chicken, but I still have to work.
There's probably one out there already, but if not, it might be a nice product to put on the market.
Take some OSHA exec out for a three martini lunch and you're in. Every maintenance dept in every city, county, and school district in the country? That's a lot of sales.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You mean something like this?

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....tool-for-moving-and-picking-up-toilets.66284/

pick-up-stix.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Didn't mean to be overly snide, but seems like everybody who's installing a tub just grabs up a 2x4 and a level and makes it work ala Terry Love, and many others, including me.
Now, if someone wants to make a useful product that plumbers would use, if someone would make a harness with a flat hook on it below waist level that would allow me to pick up a toilet bowl and put the weight on the harness by hooking the bottom lip of the bowl and carry the bowl across the yard and up a flight of stairs? I'll be your first customer. I'm no spring chicken, but I still have to work.
There's probably one out there already, but if not, it might be a nice product to put on the market.
Take some OSHA exec out for a three martini lunch and you're in. Every maintenance dept in every city, county, and school district in the country? That's a lot of sales.

You could get a Toilet Kart:
http://www.pipetytes.com/resources/Best_Way_to_Move_a_Toilet_Brochure_for_web.pdf

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just installed a TOTO Guinevere today. 120 pounds in the box. Those are a bit heavy.

Terry, I would have cut the toilet in half (60 lbs each) then glue the two halves together in place.
Just kidding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks