Tub trap height question

Users who are viewing this thread

true

Reaction score
Hello all - happy 4th.

I have a question about a combined tub/shower trap that I haven't seen covered here after some searching. I'm installing a tub/shower combo in a 2nd floor guest bath (pretty basic 60" tub, haven't picked one yet). It's an old house with 2x6 joists, but the room below has a lowered ceiling so I have over 1' of height to work with. Structurally the room is fine - the joist span is only 7' and they are spaced 12" on center with no notches or cuts.

The drain will run under the tub parallel to the joists, and I will vent it properly. However the bearing wall supporting the joists is offset about 5" into the bathroom from the bathroom wall itself - if I understand the tub/shower rough-in correctly that is directly below where the trap for the shower will be so I only have 5.75" (not 5.5") of height there.
HTML:
          |  |
    Tub   |  |
       |  |

Is that going the be enough height to run a 2" trap assuming the tub is sitting on the floor? How about 1.5" (I'd rather use 2" if possible) If not, is there any way to offset the trap 3-4"?

Hope that made sense, and thanks in advance for any help

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
tub trap

A tub/shower only needs 1.5"trap,it is common practice to use 2"p-trap for shower only,although the IPC requires minimum 1.5" trap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks