Tub to Shower - Venting Question

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by chanle51, Nov 27, 2006.

1. chanle51

chanle51 New Member

Hi - I'm in the process now of redoing our second story bath, and want to remove the tub and install a shower. (We're in NH.)

Assuming the tub drain is 2" PVC and that I can either move the drain location to the center of the shower pan or that I can find a pan that has the offset, drain....would the venting in place for the tub drain automatically apply to the shower, or would additional venting work be required?

I know this is an elementary question, but I've searched high and low and can't find answers either way.
    Thanks a lot!
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Unless the tub was a shower B4 it was a tub the tub drain piping will B 1.5". Code is 2" for a shower.
  3. chanle51

chanle51 New Member

Thanks for the response Cass. If for the sake of this question we assume that the 1.5" tub drain pipe was actually 2" PVC then would the existing tub drainage and venting design match the needs of a shower, or would different or additional venting be needed?

I do expect to find 1.5" PVC when the tub is out later today.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

If the DWV is 2" and connected to a vent it will work for a shower if you can move the trap without compromising the Joyce's.