tub to shower remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Firstremodel

Reaction score
i am going to remodel the bathroom and thought about leaving the tub out(the old tub has already been removed...) i am now thinking about just having a shower in that place...any idea how to go about that and what kind of cost difference there will be. thanks for any suggestions :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there might be kids in the house, or someone that is injured (say a cast) then a tub is nice to have. If you still have one, then changing this to a shower may work out and not make the house hard to sell.

The drain for a shower is required to be 2". Tubs are generally plumbed with 1.5" (although it might have a 2" part nearby if you are lucky). So, that could be a problem.

If you want to tile this, www.schluter.com has a tileable kit meant especially for that situation. They have two different pans for that normal size. One has the drain on the end and the other has it in the more traditional place (the middle).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not only is the shower required to have a 2" drain, it is located in a different place than a tub. You project is do-able, but not just a straight swap one for the other. I believe most codes require at least one tub in the house for reason Jim already mentioned.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the Schluter Kerdi tileable trays has the drain on the end (this is new this year), while their original tub replacement pan has it in the middle. While most any tub would need the drain moved a little, their pan with the drain on the end would not be much different than replacing with a tub, other than the fact you need it to be 2" vs the tub's 1.5".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks