Tub to Shower conversion to save space

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by deankirk, Dec 20, 2004.

1. deankirk

deankirk New Member

I have a 32" wide tub on concrete slab with drain mounted about 6" or so from the wall. I would like to convert to a 32" square shower, but the pans I have seen all have the drain about 16" from the wall. Does anyone make a 32" pan with the drain 6" from the wall, or is there something I don't know about tub/shower drains? I know Swan makes a tub-shower conversion floor pan, but it is 32" x 60", which is too much space in my micro bathroom/studio condo. Thanks for any help from anyone who has done this. :)

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The problem is that when you put in the shower pan (floor), it needs to slope 1/4" per foot. In order to look good, you need the same drop from each wall to the drain. That means you need about 9/16" in 6" on the short side. If the drain was in the middle of the 32" (and that is a small shower!), then you'd only need about 5/16ths drop from each wall to the drain.

You really should consider moving the drain to the middle of the shower, then you'd have a bunch of options. If you want help with tiling, consider going over to johnbridge.com probably the best tiling site on the web. They have a bunch of good people (and are friends of Terry's), plus a good library where you can do some research.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  3. deankirk

deankirk New Member

Thanks much for the help. My mom suggested that I pour my own shower pan, which might not be too bad an idea. Thanks for the drainage info.
    Dean :)