tub surround or tile for claw foot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...I have the original claw foot in my home that was installed when outhouses went out of style...it is in excellent condition and I love it so I am determined to keep it. But I had to replace the bathroom floor and two of the walls due to water damage and I do not wish to continue using the not so effective ceiling mounted shower curtain since my kids can't manage to keep the water in the tub (or clean it up)...so, I'm looking for any suggestions or alternative options...I have searched everywhere I can think of and haven't seen any other options however I know basically nothing about bathrooms...:)

Since I like to "think outside the box" I'm sure there must be someone with an alternative idea out there somewhere...

The tub currently sits in an alcove in my bathroom so because it is surrounded by three walls already I was thinking...

1. I could install an acrylic tub surround on the back side and two ends, I can make a template to fit under the curved lip of the tub and tile from the tub edge to the tub surround (walls)...and caulk the adges to stop water from seeping from the tiled surface under the tub lip (?) if done properly, would it be waterproof?

Or

2. I could still use the templates (?) but tile the walls and the templates. Then caulk (?) the tile at the tub's edge.

Both of these options would still leave the tub fully visible so I would not lose the "look" of the tub.

I'm hoping someone has suggestions...or any advice on the above possibilities...

Help...please...I'm desperate to have my shower back!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've seen a curved glass panel (probably custom made at significant expense!) on a clawfoot tub. I don't have any ideas...give the folks at www.johnbridge.com a shot...they live tiling and bathrooms (and floors) there with lots of pros and traffic so it'll get a bunch of exposure (no guarantees you'll get any answers, though).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks