Tub Surround Installer in NYC

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bklynguy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bklynguy

bklynguy New Member

I have a NYC apartment that seriously needs freshening before selling. I would tile if I were staying. But I am not. I realize these acrylic tub enclosures (wall panels) are not perfect, still, I have 2 questions. Does anyone have any experience installing wall panels over existing tile? Does it ever look even half decent? And, by any chance, does anyone know a reputable installer in NYC or the metro area who might work in Brooklyn?

Thank you.
  2. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

I don't think it would be wise to put the enclosure over the tile. You have to glue that to the wall and tile probably would not stick to tile that well. As far as a installer in NYC can't help there,I'm just a beer drinking,cheese eaten overweight Wisconsinite. Good luck hay dar!
  3. bklynguy

bklynguy New Member

Thank you for the response, there are web sites indicating you can install over tile, but that seemed odd to me to, I was also wondering if you could get decent adhesion.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some glues will stick to anything...you just have to pick the right one and then make sure it doesn't discolor the plastic of the surround or melt it.
  5. bklynguy

bklynguy New Member

Thank you, seems I need to do a bit more research.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Field tile normally runs to the edge of the tub, and then a line of bullnose tile.
    The three piece stick-um enclosures don't run even to the edge of the tub. You would still have tile sticking out beyond the new wall panels.
    Pretty tacky.
    Those new panels only work well if you have newly done drywall that has been textured close to the tub. They don't go down to the floor, like most tile does.