Tub spout replacement - weird copper adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

rutsa

Reaction score
Hi guys
This is my first faucet replacement attempt. I got the old one off with some very intense twisting while pulling out. Now I'm ready to put a new one on but the connection doesn't seem right for a screw on or a slide on/allen wrench type.
The old spout had a slot for an allen wrench, but the whole inside part was hollowed out, I guess by our plumber who did a copper repipe about a year ago.
There is this weird adapter on the end of my copper pipe. I can see the pipe was just a regular threaded type (oh if only it still were!) but they put this adapter on. It looks like the adapter is just screwed on - there is teflon tape there. The adapter itself has no actual threads - just weird little grooves in kind of square patterns all over.
I'm not sure how the old spout was adhered to there - I can't just screw it back on now. It pulls right off.
But what I need to know is, can I just unscrew this adaptor (I tried with some force and it didnt' budge - but again it does not seem to be soldered on).
Or should I hollow out another slip on type spout (which I do have in the house) like the plumbers did...and attach it how?
Thanks so much. I'm sure this post is horrifyingly 'newbie' but I thank you for bearing with me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks