Tub spout replacement recommendation and upkeep?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by amtrak23, Sep 3, 2011.

1. amtrak23

amtrak23 New Member

I'm looking for a good replacement unit. Original Delta had a leaky diverter for years (lots of hard water here). A cheapo Danco from Big Box worked from January until now, when I took it off to soak in some vinegar to clean up some of the deposits. Bought another Danco and it leaks right out of the package.

Is there anything to look for when buying one of these? And what would be the best practice for upkeep?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I buy the Delta spouts with the pull-down diverter.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The Delta diverter spout is the only good way to go.
  4. amtrak23

amtrak23 New Member

Like this guy?
    [h=1]Delta Faucet RP5836 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter, Chrome[/h]Are they easy to find locally? I don't recall seeing anything like that while browsing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Yes, that's one of several similar models. I put one of those into my mother's when I upgraded her tub/shower valve to an anti-scald version last year. It comes in numerous finishes, several different styles, and both plastic and metal construction. Most say that the finish on the plastic version is quite durable.